Chess Power wants every child in New Zealand to have access to Chess in a professional and educational environment. To help ensure this outcome, we do offer a special subsidy for small Schools and also low Decile Schools.
We have found small schools often find it difficult to generate the number of students to justify the cost of Chess Coaching.
A successful applicant school must have a school roll of less than 100 students.
Our experience has shown that Chess is of particular benefit to schools in lower socio-economic areas. Chess has wonderful positive effects on children dealing with a wide range of social and behavioural difficulty.
A successful applicant school must have a decile rating of 1 or 2.
- Either a Low Roll or Low Decile is grounds for an application.
- It is completey at Chess Power's descretion as to whether an application will be accepted or not.
- Chess Power does not receive any funding for successful Chess Subsidy applicants. We offer the subsidy wholely at our cost.
- Chess Power offers this subsidy to encourage schools with small numbers or in poorer areas to enjoy and participate in Chess that may not normally have the means or opportunity.
- We do recommend that schools work through their normal channels for Community Grants in the first instance, and if this fails, only then apply for the Chess Subsidy. Feel free to use our resources on the Benefits of Chess for your Community Grant applications.
Successful Applicant Benefits
Successful applicants will receive:
- A free introduction to Chess for all their students
- Reduced programme costs
- Reduced interschool tournament entry fees
Note: Applicant Benefits extend for the year within which the school successfully applied for the subsidy. If the school wishes to receive the subsidy the following year, a new application needs to be made at the beginning of the year or ideally at the end of the previous year.
How to Apply
To apply for the Chess Subsidy, fill in the enquiry form below indicating the reasons you think your school should receive a subsidy.
We will be in touch within two weeks after considering your application.