Sarapu Cup FAQ
The Sarapu Cup Chess Tournaments are a great way for kids of all levels to play and enjoy Chess. If you are new to chess the Sarapu Cup is an ideal starting ground for getting involved in Chess tournaments.
The Sarapu Cup is a regular event held in Auckland, Rotorua and Wellington every month!
Sarapu Cup Chess Tournaments offer these great benefits:
- Each player receives a Certificate recognising their achievement
- Exceptional players are rewarded with trophies
- Prizes can be won for various puzzles on the day
- The entry fee is $20 per Child 18 years and under
- For a child, winning your age group or even a whole division at a Sarapu Cup event gives you some great benefits:
- entry in the Kings Championship Division of the Sarapu Cup Championships held at the end of the year (available to winners of Age Group prizes in the rooks division)
- winning a trophy you get to keep
View our FAQs below to understand all the rules, qualification criteria and tournament format.
Check out our upcoming Tournaments to find a tournament your child, student or school can enter.
View or Facebook page for photos of previous events.
If you would like to enter, check our Upcoming Tournaments page and select a Sarapu Cup event on a date that suits.
- Learn more about the history of the Sarapu Cup and one of the greatest Chess players in New Zealand history, Ortvin Sarapu.
- Find out about the format of the Sarapu Cup tournament including Registration Timing, Tournament structure, the points system and divisions within the tournament
- Details of how to reserve your place
- The entry fee is $20 (inc GST) per player, per event.
- All players must complete an entry form at the start of the event. Photographs may be taken of each event and published in the local or state media, website, newsletter, magazine or used in future advertising materials.
- The arbiter for each day will clearly explain all rules before the start of play. It is expected that there will be a proportion of players in every event who have minimal tournament experience.
- Trophies are awarded for winners. Prizes are available by Age Group, for Best Girl and for 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall. The top players qualify for the Sarapu Cup Championships.
- The Sarapu Cup Championship has a Kings Championship Division and various Open Divisions. Winners of the Sarapu Cup events through the year gain entry into the Kings Championship Division. The winner of the Kings Championship Division of the Sarapu Cup Championship is crowned Sarapu Cup Champion and their name is engraved on the Sarapu Cup.