The Champions Trophy is an annual event aimed to find the best individual junior chess player in New Zealand.
To qualify for the event, you must either:
- Come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any Chess Power Interschools Zonal event Championship Division (minimum of 5 points)
- Be amongst the top 3 girls in any Chess Power Interschools Zonal event Championship Division (minimum of 5 points)
- Come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Kings division of the Sarapu Cup
- Being the best player on each board for a season in the Youth Chess League
You do not require a team or involvement with your school to enter the Champions Trophy. Entry into the Champions Trophy is direct between the individual and Chess Power. Note though Champions Trophy invitations may be distributed via your school.
The Champions Trophy gives a channel for talented kids that may or may not have a talented team. So they can still participate in a National event despite not having a school team backing them.
The Champions Trophy is an individual event. It is run as one large Swiss Tournament so Juniors can get to play Seniors etc. But prizes will be awarded based on division. There will be five trophies:
- The Champions Trophy (Overall Champion)
- The Champions Trophy (Overall Female Champion)
- The Champions Trophy (Junior Division Champion)
- The Champions Trophy (Intermediate Division Champion)
- The Champions Trophy (Senior Division Champion)
15 minutes + 5 seconds/move per player. 9 rounds.
$40 if paid by 29 August 2015
$50 if paid later than 29 August 2015
Entries close 12 September 2015
View the full Champions Trophy 2014 tournament report from last year
View the full list of Champions Trophy Qualifiers 2015
We recommend the following accommodation providers. Some of them have offered us discounted pricing.
Parklane Motor Lodge
222 Green Lane West, Epsom
Abella Court Motel
224 Green Lane West, Epsom
Receive a discount of $10/night/room i.e. stay for two nights and receive $20 Discount
Book though their website www.abella.nz (A credit card is needed to secure Booking).
Password: Who is Mozart of Chess?
Cornwall Park Motor Inn
317 Manukau Road, Epsom
$155/per night Studio. Queen size bed. 2 studios available as at 11 September.
232 Green Lane West, Epsom
5% of their advertised rate if the stay will be for 2 or more nights. Email email@example.com and mention the Chess Tournament
Catering will be provided on the day for both participants and teachers/parent helpers. If you do have students with allergies, we recommend they bring food with them that is safe.
If you have any questions about the Chess Power Champions Trophy, please fill in the enquiry form below or email firstname.lastname@example.org.